Monday, September 04, 2006

 

How Not to Cover a Bomb Threat in London

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fretting away at the keyboard in the Mocha Cafe patisserie, I was more concerned about the fact that I'd spent £1.40 on a cup of tea I didn't need than the fact that a guy was telling everyone to clear the building. It was only once I'd made it out of the cordoned off area and into the park in the centre of Leicester Square that it suddenly occured to me- shit, that was a story there.

By the time I'd thought of this I'd been out of the area for a good 10 minutes. I could go back... I hadn't taken down the time the warning had been issued. I didn't know what street the cafe was on. I hadn't asked anyone what was happening, just bowed my head and scuttled off obediently. Hindsight is 20/20.

2:25 I took down the time- I'd been writing out by hand what'd happened. The guy had asked everyone to clear the building and then a copper had announced in that IIIIIIIIII AM THE VOICE OF AUTHORITY AT THIS TIME AND THAT IS WHY I AM SPEAKING THIS LOUD tone that a suspect package had been identified just across the way. He went on to say we could either go down into the cellar of the cafe or make our way out of the area.

Police were every few metres along the street and were directing people with bored motions reminiscent of flight attendents on the preflight safety demo. In fact no one seemed bothered. While people were leaving the owner of the cafe managed to say 'pay before you go'. At least someone managed to stay collected enough to prioritize.

2:31 From my seat in the Square I was still bumbling as to what to do. Sirens in the distance- but that could be for anything in the city, I reasoned. Got off my arse and started back to the area, Charing Cross Road I noted this time. There was police ribbon left on one of the lamp posts I passed, torn off obviously the area was safe again. Even if I'd missed witnessing the conclusion at least the space was deemed safe to enter now.

2:51 Standing outside the cafe there was no sign anything had even taken place. I asked one of the girls behind the counter what'd happened. She said a package had been found but nothing happened. I didn't quote her here because I can't remember her exact words and I'd rather paraphrase than tread the lines of reporting ethics. Although if this is my personal account, am I bound to reporting strict truth? Given what I'm trying to relate I think it's best that I remain as factual as I can.

Made it towards the nearest other internet cafe to stay as close to the time as possible. Didn't ask to use the Mocha Cafe's facilities as I needed a loo and they said theirs was blocked. From getting out of the area (without asking questions) to meandering through ethical debate (rather than writing first) to following the demands of my bowel, the entire sorry mess has been one long passage of self-preservation.

Learn from mistakes, carpe diem, always carry a camera.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?