Tuesday, September 05, 2006

 

HST Follows Me

Hunter S. Thompson has followed me.

Initially he was handed to me. Something said in passing about wanting to do journalism had sent my host at the house dashing off, rummaging around, returning with a chunky yellow volume entitled The Great Shark Hunt.

Thumbing through, I could see how such a man could lend inspiration to a young writer. Words like "...I've always considered writing the most hateful kind of work. I suspect it's a bit like fucking, which is only fun for amateurs. Old whores don't do much giggling."

Inspirational or not, this old whore didn't know when to leave me. Weeks went by, people everywhere had seen the movie and yabbered on about it. In fact hearing them talk stirred memories of overheard conversations about cannons and ashes and Johnny Depp, I had known about this all along. But I hadn't seen or read Fear and Loathing...

In a teasing manner the dvd was to be had in the local rental place- but as the girl behind the counter explained it was on the side of the shop reserved for one night rentals rather than weekly, making it three times the price. Costly and only available overnight? I left the strumpet in disgust.

Later Sightings, completely unintentional:
*John Bird article where the Big Issue editor discusses his acquaintence with Ralph Steadman, Thompson's illustrator after the Kentucky Derby story.
*A story on the Exquisite Corpse website that I found via an article by Chip Scanlan.
*The Gonzo Tour
*Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is really despicable.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?